September 23, 2012

« September 2012

Below are the diary entries for September 23, 2012, with the newest entries added at the bottom. Also, check out today’s photos.

Nicoline Homeward bound
Nicoline (September 23, 2012)

Last modified: September 23, 2012 at 22:22:55

Last night we agreed that we wanted to get started on the way home no later than 8 a.m. We were in the car by 7.45 a.m. We didn’t even go downstairs for breakfast, but instead just had coffee and cereal in our room, then packed everything up, checked out, and drove off.

The day was pretty uneventful. We switched every two hours or so and took a break for lunch in Colorado wine country, where it turns out they have a kind of gravel that has spikes sticking out in every direction. I’ve never seen such a thing. They went right through the soles of my flip-flops and it hurt like heck to walk on them! To get rid of them, I had to take the flip-flops and rub the bottoms together, that’s how sticky they were.

Between the Eisenhower Tunnel and Idaho Springs, Colo., we got stuck in a traffic jam. There must have been an accident or something. We later saw an ambulance with lights and siren on rushing past on the other side of I-70.

Just past Denver we switched one last time and since the road was now free of switchbacks or even significant curves or rises, I got the car up to just under 80 mph. I was quite prepared to go all the way to Kansas, but Eric suggested we call it a day about 90 miles from the Kansas line. To be honest, I’m glad he did, because I’m more tired than I thought at first. We had dinner at the restaurant next door and as it was a place with a liquor license, I had two beers with it. That about did me in, so I’m going to call it a day. As I can’t log into Eric’s laptop, I’m going to leave the pictures to him.

Add a Comment

Eric Utah to Colorado
Eric (September 23, 2012)

Last modified: September 23, 2012 at 22:41:05

We've started our way back. We were on the road before 8am this morning. In the first stretch, we did do some stops on the San Rafael Swell. Unfortunately, the day turned out to be pretty cloudy (we got even some drops of rain) so the photos aren't going to do the scenery justice...

The rest of Utah and into Colorado went pretty smoothly. Nicoline and I changed places just about every two hours, stretched for a moment, and went on. We now came through Glenwood Canyon from the other side, with a better view of the two-tier highway system.

Traffic was clearly heavier than we had been used to for the past few days. After passing through the Eisenhower / Johnson tunnel we got into a traffic jam, with everyone just standing still for half an hour or so. Not too long after that, we said a final goodbye to the mountains and, driving through Denver (where we saw a roof covered in birds), entered onto the East-Colorado plains.

Add a Comment